4th Day Hiking

Around 3:30 am I hear a phone ding from Land's tent and think to see if I have phone service.  I do! I also have a message from my husband saying to text him.  I knew the inreach messages didn't go out the night before, but couldn't fix it.   Didn't even think to check my phone!  I text him and he quickly calls.  Poor guy had been up all night worrying while I slept.  We have a really meaningful talk. I boo hoo a bit.  We talk until my Platoon wakes up and begins tearing down tents.  I hang up and then  break down my tent too. I am going home.  Hugs all around, I love these guys.  They set up a camera and get a group shot and then  I head north while they head south.  No head torch needed because the moon lights up the sandy path.  I'm a bit unnerved at first and for fun pretend I am a spy like in a Mission Impossible or a James Bond movie.  I hear the soundtrack in my head and I jump into shadows of trees and look and listen.  Haha.  It's fun, then the tranquility of hiking in the dark sets in.  I pass tents all zipped up at Crater Creek.   As I enter the burned area of the Rainbow Fire the sun begins lightening up the Minarets.  Sweet.


I get to Red's just in time to clean up in the bathroom a bit before the restaurant opens.  Kevin, my Donahue Pass big talker, shows up and we have a lovely breakfast together talking about the pros and cons of walking solo. He already seems a bit changed from his hike.  Or maybe I am.   Nice guy.  He's going on, but wants to lighten his load, so I offer to take his extra stuff and mail it home to him.  The ladies from Washington show up for breakfast as well and give me their contact info.  Gene, the effervescent 66 year old, takes my photo and says he will see me next year.   I take the bus to Mammoth and have a second breakfast of smoked trout on a bagel in the swanky Village and then catch the YARTS bus back to my car in Tuolumne.
 

Hanging out at Olmstead Point I ponder my first venture into solo hiking. There were pluses and minuses. On the plus side is the meditative gliding along the trail.  Zen walking. Stop when you want, walk when you want.  No need to worry about keeping up or slowing someone down.  On the minus for me is the lonely bed at night (I missed my husband!) and the vulnerability I felt as a woman.  Anyone could overpower me.  I like being a woman, but sometimes I think being a man might have some perks, especially when alone. 

I'm not really disappointed I didn't go on. I'm proud I tried at all and happy that I enjoyed it.  I have been with my husband since I was 15 and this is the first time I have ever done anything significant by myself.  I often worried about  my beloved dying and my ability to do things alone, and while I wasn't completely successful, I was successful enough. I know I can do things solo. I stretched myself and grew as a person.  Growth.  I think that is important. 

Now, for the very first time in my 53 years, I'm  at a cool historic hotel all by myself in Groveland. Another adventure!  Tomorrow I will finish the drive back home to the love of my life.  I can hardly wait. 

Comments