Solo JMT?

Last winter while putting together a slideshow of our 2015 smokey, summer hike along the John Muir Trail I realized I wanted to hike it again and  alone.  This thought felt blasphemous as I live to hike with my best friend, lover and husband of over 35 years.  I threw the thought away.  'Forget it, it's  ridiculous'!


Then my love came home and I immediately blurted it out.  I can never keep secrets from him.  

"Go for it!", he says,  "It gives me the heebie jeebies thinking of you out there hiking with out me, but if you want to do it, go for it!".

So I am. This will be my third time hiking the JMT, but  my very first time solo hiking.  We will see how far I can get. 

It gives me the heebie jeebies too, but that can be a good thing. I like a doable challenge and stretching myself.  Mark and I have been joined at the hip since I was 15, and the idea of a solo adventure depending just on myself seems right somehow.  Although solo is a bit of a stretch because the beautiful JMT  is probably the most crowded trail in the Sierra.   I think the crowds will make it safer.  If I fall and I can't get up then a person is sure to stumble over me within the hour.  

Sir Edmund Hillary said,  “We go to the mountains not to conquer the mountains, but to conquer ourselves.”

I think that's why I'm going.  Wish me luck.  -Pearl



Comments