2nd Day Hiking

Great day hiking along this section of the  trail through the Minarets.  It is my favorite section of JMT.  I just floated along all day in awe. Except when I fell.  I also lost my reading glasses so I can't tell if I'm spelling right or if photos are clear.  Oh well.  

Up and over Donahue pass under a cover of clouds. Marmots dance across patches of snow.  A young Japanese man smiles as his head bobs as he quickly passes me.  I am not standing still, that kid is fast.   I slowly catch up to a man named Kevin and we  walk at almost the same pace.  A long conversation down the other side.  Nice man, but a big talker.  



At the Marie Lakes trail junction I sit to soak my feet, and get some water.  A mule train comes toward the crossing.  Cool.  I think as I ready my camera.  Splash!!!  Icy cold water rains down on me.  At first I am shocked and quickly dry my phone off, then I realize what a treat it is to be in the splash zone.  Live in the splash zone, I think.  Enjoy the unexpected.   A young man and woman walk up.   They are finishing their north bound JMT hike.  His face glows as he talks about it.  I understand that look and we exchange silent  kindred souls smiles.  He has the hiking bug.  I have the hiking bug and we both know it.   

Thousand Island Lake as pretty as ever.  The granite, the water, the steely grey skies overhead.

I quickly put my sleeping clothes and sleeping bag on the bush in the photo to dry a bit.  I make myself a protein shake and get ready to settle down for a meditative sit and the sky starts rumbling.  Oh boy,  here it comes.  A young day hiking woman sits down near me and asks questions about what to do in lightening and I give her the lowdown and wish her well.  I pack up my stuff and then head on up the trail as light rain begins to fall.  No swim today.

I hike past lovely Emerald Lake, then Ruby.  I love the blue color of Ruby.  Pure.  The rain begins to fall in earnest, but thankfully the rumbling is far away.  I see no flashes .  I put on my rain gear and pack cover and hike on towards Garnet Lake. I get a bit more water at Garnet and eat some trail mix before heading on.  The trail seems deserted and my feet just skim across the trail.  Magical place this is.   I think about my first hike on this foot path and miss my husband.  We had a lot of fun.  I am having a lot of fun this time alone too.  It is just different.  I feel slightly ethereal. Here but not here.   Thinking.  My thoughts roll around like pebbles at the sea.
 

Hiking down into the Shadow Creek drainage, Tony from yesterday passes me.  I ask him where he is camping and if I can join him as I am starting to feel a little alone out here and don't want to camp alone.  As he quickly moves on with a bounce in his step, I fall. Hard onto my right knee.  It bleeds, but seems okay.  Onward I hike to Rosalie Lake, my camping spot for the night.  When I reach the creek, it is beautiful in sight and sound.  The water sings and dances its way down the channel.  I meet 3 young Austrian men who want to know how far it is to Garnet Lake.  We chat as best we can.  Only one seems to understand English. 
 
I am now at Rosalie Lake sitting on a large rock overlooking the water enjoying the view and sending out an Inreach message .  Strangely enough, my knee seems fine, but my ankle is throbbing.  I must have rolled it when I fell.   Tony is here and the young Japanese hiker who passed me this morning.  I think I hiked pretty far, but I'm not checking mileage.  I'm just walking. Smelling the flowers along the way. I made sure not to pass anyone today.  I'm trying to tame my competitive nature.  There is no need for that here.  
 
 

Comments