Boulders to Idyllwild

We were awoken before dawn by a fellow hiker packing up their camp.  We decided to do the same.   I coughed like crazy and probably woke up a whole bunch more people.  Sorry.  I used my steroid and my rescue inhaler as quick as I could and my breathing eventually settled down.  

Mark packed up most of the stuff as I rested and then down the trail we went.  Then the wind picked up.  And picked up some more.  And picked me up a bit.  It was like an invisible monster on the prowl.  I walked hunkered down with my poles gripped and planted firmly.  It felt like I was climbing Everest and  needed oxygen.  I kept coughing and getting blown around. Everything was just too much  and  I started crying.  

 Mark moved my water and my half of the tent into his pack.  I changed my socks and blew my snotty nose.  I used my rescue inhaler and popped in a cough drop and hiked out the 8 miles (but it felt like 18 to me) to Paradise.  Paradise Cafe that is.

We had breakfast with Raven and took the offered shuttle into the adorable town of Idyllwild.  Thanks Trail Angel Chris. We got a cozy and quaint cabin at the Fireside Inn for 2 nights.  I have to shake this bug before we continue.  I'm eating oranges as I write and drinking Gatorade.  Mark's walking around town with Raven, probably having all kinds of fun, while I lay her coughing. 

We saw quite a few snapped off trees on our way into Idyllwild and were told wind gusts have been up to 50 or 60 miles an hour.  No wonder Mark had to hold me on the narrow ledge trail a couple times this morning.  Wind is supposed to die down in a couple days so that is more confirmation we should stay put and enjoy the accommodations.

Comments