AZT: Junction with Dave’s Tank to Lake Mary Road


The Stats:

During the night I saw a headlamp bobbling along the nearby trail and we ended up having a bit of a chat with a Yeti.  We were burrowed into our sleeping bags and he was standing somewhere in the dark.   We never saw him.  After he walked off I remembered that we met a Yeti hiking last year and hoped we’d catch up to him today to confirm if it was the same Yeti.   It just had to be the same Yeti as he had a nice French Canadian accent like the one we met last year in the Four Peaks Wilderness. 

We caught up to him an hour into our hike this morning.  No surprise really that it was the right Yeti.  We were surprised he remembered us as ‘the camper couple’.  Kinda catchy, maybe we need a new trail name.  We later met more Canadians.  Wow.  That was surprising.   This time in the form of geese.   During the night I had thought I heard Canadian geese and I guess I was right.  



The trail was sloppy today, and I have ice cold, wet feet, but it was very doable and our trepidation was for naught.  (Although, it certainly helped our morale knowing we had a warm and cozy camper to sleep in tonight.). We actually hiked our normal speed.  Which isn’t saying much, but we were worried it might be a mile an hour trail today, so double that was double good.  

The snow was only in patches and not too deep, especially if you stayed in the other hikers’ steps.  There was one section where it was confusing and I would have gotten off trail if I hadn’t had a Hawkeye around.  That man notices details and he found the correct trail before I even realized I’d gone astray.  A couple times during the day I did pull my phone out and check our map app to make sure we were on the right path.   Same goes for life.   Check in with yourself now and again and make sure you are on your path.   



Now I’m a happy and content roadside hobo having a cup of tea waiting for Hawkeye to get back with the camper.  Our motorcycle is a small, road licensed dirt bike and there’s no way we could fit on it with our backpacks and I also don’t enjoy riding on paved roads.   I’ll ride around a bit on dirt, as Hawkeye is very skilled at riding.   I trust him, but on the paved roads you have all the other people to worry about.  No thank you!   I’ll sit here and drink my tea and write out this journal entry.   

Comments