PCT: Etna Summit to Paynes Lake


We are off on another hiking adventure on our beloved Pacific Crest Trail.   This summer marks ten years we’ve been slowly, so very slowly, hiking sections in our home state of California.   This year, if the stars align (aka: our bodies hold up) we hope to finish hiking all of California.   It’s a big state.  About 1700 miles of trail.  

We decided to hike this section south bound because of logistics and because our ascent will be two thousand feet less overall.   We take such liberties as section hikers.  Who wouldn’t?


Todays hike was very short, because we didn’t start hiking until 5:30 pm.   It turned out perfect.   We had a bit of a climb and the temperature was just right.  The trail’s views were exceptional and both our spirits were high.  A few (perhaps a thousand! ) mosquitoes hurried us on our way at the summit of our climb,  but weirdly none of them bit me.   Hawkeye wasn’t so lucky.  

Paynes Lake is a treasure.   I wish it was earlier and I could go for a swim.  It’s eight  now and I’m afraid I’d be cold for hours if I did succumb to the waters pull.   Maybe manana.  



These flowers match Hawkeye’s shorts!


Comments