Backtracking: Casa Herrera to boulders around mile 144

Another day of coughing.  Nasty chest cold is slowing me down. I just try to remember to not spit in the wind. 

We have a pancake breakfast at the Casa before we head up Buckssnort Mountain.  Thankfully the trail was mostly flat or downhill and I was able to put in another 18 miles.  I did slow considerably on the uphill.  I lost my voice and the guys, Mark and Raven,  said they knew the trail would provide.  Haha.  Other hikers avoid me like the plague.

I didn't enjoy the scenery like I usually do.  It was windy, rocky, dry, cool, hot and had lots of chaparral.  There still were blooming yucca and cactus and these teeny, tiny, grains of sand sized daisies. 

I completely conked out at 4 pm (mile 18) and laid in the shade while Mark put up our tent. Raven hiked on.  A to Z (Adrian and Zack) were camped nearby and offered me medicine.  They are sweet young men from Ashland Oregon.  I rested, drank Gatorade, used my inhaler and coughed. Enjoyed the sunset amidst our boulder field.  

Comments