Tj's Reflection on our SoCal PCT Hike




I'm addicted to backpacking.   It's like any other addiction in that it holds on to my conscious with a steely grip.  It's almost all I think about.  After finishing our recent 3 week hike along the Pacific Crest Trail from Campo to Cajon Pass, I might possibly be ruined for real life.  I feel a bit trapped inside my house, and we have way too much stuff!   Decisions?  What,  I can't make decisions.   I'll just think about the open trail with my pack on my back.  It's very freeing.  

I remember one day especially.  We were hiking through the burned area north of Mt. Laguna.  In my mind's eye I saw the trail as a ribbon.  It was loosely swirled, with lots of zigs and zags and its color various shades of earth tones: rich browns, tans, gold, cream, rose.  A beautiful ribbon with people dotted along it like various colored and shaped rhinestones.  We were all connected by the trail.  I zoomed out a bit more in my mind's eye and I saw how it stretched across the continent from Mexico to Canada.  Incredible.   Instead of feeling small and insignificant, I felt an immense connection.  I felt an expansiveness.  I felt a little bit like I was touched by God.

There were things that surprised me on the trail.  Other hikers surprised me.  Some hikers don't hike much, others hike too much too soon and get ridiculously big blisters.  Others walk roads for shortcuts or hitch from town to town.   Then there are those hikers that go the extra mile and climb peaks along the way and walk alongside a struggling hiker to make sure they make it to safety.  The Handyman who kept fixing things at trail angel's houses and carrying tents for young ladies.  (He might have had ulterior motives about the tents).    I was surprised too by the unexpected beauty of the desert;  the way the light danced on a sycamore tree, the fragility of the flowers, the glittering body of a lizard.  I think the lack of green made all that was alive shine just a bit brighter.  I felt brighter too.   The wind surprised me with its fierceness.  You could hear it coming like a freight train.  Wow.  It still gives me shivers.  It was like an invisible lion roaring.  I've never experienced wind like that before.  The weather always surprised us.  One day 102 degrees, 2 days later snow. 

When I reflect overall on our recent hike I realize that everything went better than planned.  Even my bronchitis went better than it would have at home.   The walking kept my lungs moving and kept me coughing and cleaning them out.  I always thought that if I had lung issues I would just have to quit hiking, but I didn't!  This too is liberating.  All of our gear did well.  The only thing I would change is I wouldn't send home our tent footprint at Mt. Laguna.  Crazy weight Nazi that I am, I sent it home because it took 6 ounces of weight from my pack.  Now we have a perfectly wonderful tent with a floor dotted with minuscule holes. What a waste!  I might also pack in more wet wipes.  I didn't really enjoy sleeping dirty. 

We went on this hike hoping to see if we had what it took to do long distance hiking with the idea that someday we might do a thru hike of the PCT.  I think we could have what it takes.  I think it takes a love of the open trail, a willingness to detach from your job, home and family and an attentiveness to your feet.  One step at a time will surprise you in the distance you can go.  It certainly surprised us.  We also realized on this hike that while we think we could do a PCT thru hike, we might just keep section hiking because I would really be ruined for 'real life' if I spent 5 or 6 months hiking. 


Comments