Pacific Crest Trail: California Section B

This section was hiked in April of 2014 and each day was originally posted individually.  I regrouped them according to section for convenience.


"Giving up is the ONLY sure way to fail"  -Showalter

Warner's Spring to Mike's Place:



Left Warners after a great breakfast.  The proceeds from things sold at Warners Resource Center go to the local FFA, so we felt good dropping a little cash there.  The trail meandered across flat prairie and we soon entered a dry creek and followed it upstream where it eventually had water.  Lovely amble for the first 5 miles. 

We were following Stan, now with the trail name Raven, (for his love of flying, intelligence and his home state of Alaska where the raven is a bit of a  spiritual icon.) You see, along the PCT and other long trails some people get renamed.  We don't yet have trail names.

After the lovely amble, we hiked uphill in the heat.   Not so lovely.  When we passed Oblivious, he named Mark Fantasy Life because Mark told him walking uphill in 84 degree weather under the umbrella was like driving across the desert in your car.  Lol.   Mark does seem to go through life with rose colored glasses, but so far,  the name hasn't  stuck.
  
As the afternoon progressed I developed a wheeze and cough and felt pretty bad, actually really bad, but I trudged on towards the next water tank.  It was evening when we arrived after about an 18 mile hike and the tank was dry and we were down to a half liter each, so we needed some water. 

 There were all these signs in brightly painted colors welcoming us and inviting us to come down to the house.  It was a bit surreal and spooky.  If only we had remembered the guidebook better we would have been less spooked.   This place belongs to Mike Herrera of Casa Tortillas and he has caretakers at this place to welcome and share with all the hiker guests.  It was a bit of a party house though, so we pitched our tent on the quiet side and had a good nights sleep.  My hacking also kept all the wacky tobacky smokers downwind.  They were thoughtful that way.  While I've never been to a 70's hippie commune, this place was kind of what I though one would be like.

Mike's Place to Boulder Field:



Another day of coughing.  Nasty chest cold is slowing me down. I just try to remember to not spit in the wind.

We have a pancake breakfast at the Casa before we head up the Mountain.  Thankfully the trail was mostly flat or downhill and I was able to put in another 18 miles.  I did slow considerably on the uphill.  I lost my voice and the guys, Mark and Raven,  said they knew the trail would provide.  Haha.  Other hikers avoid me like the plague.

I didn't enjoy the scenery like I usually do.  It was windy, rocky, dry, cool, hot and had lots of chaparral.  There still were blooming yucca and blooming cactus and these teeny, tiny, grains of sand sized daisies.  I'll call them sand daisies. 

I completely conked out at 4 pm (mile 18) and laid in the shade while Mark put up our tent. Raven hiked on.  A to Z (Adrian and Zack) were camped nearby and offered me medicine.  They are sweet young men from Ashland Oregon.  I rested, drank Gatorade, used my inhaler and coughed. Enjoyed the sunset amidst our boulder field.  

Boulder Field To Idyllwild:





We were awoken before dawn by a fellow hiker packing up their camp.  We decided to do the same.   I coughed like crazy and probably woke up a whole bunch more people.  Sorry.  I used my steroid and my rescue inhaler as quick as I could and my breathing eventually settled down.  

Mark packed up most of the stuff, as I rested and then down the trail we went.  The wind picked up.  And then picked up some more.  It even picked me up a bit too.  It was like an invisible monster on the prowl.  I walked hunkered down with my poles gripped and planted firmly in mother earth.  It felt like I was climbing Everest and  needed oxygen.  I kept coughing and getting blown around. Everything was just too much  and  I started crying.  

 Mark moved my water and my half of the tent into his pack.  I changed my socks and blew my snotty nose.  I used my rescue inhaler and popped in a cough drop and hiked out the 8 miles (but it felt like 18 to me) to Paradise.  Paradise Cafe that is.

We had breakfast with Raven and took the offered shuttle into the adorable town of Idyllwild.  Thanks Trail Angel Chris. We got a cozy and quaint cabin at the Fireside Inn for two nights.  I have to shake this bug before we continue.  I'm eating oranges as I write and drinking Gatorade.  Mark's walking around town with Raven, probably having all kinds of fun, while I lay her coughing. 

We saw quite a few snapped off trees on our way into Idyllwild and were told wind gusts have been up to 50 or 60 miles an hour.  No wonder Mark had to hold me on the narrow ledge trail a couple times this morning.  Wind is supposed to die down in a couple days, so that is more confirmation we should stay put and enjoy the accommodations.



Rest day in Idyllwild:

In hikers' shorthand we are taking a zero.  No trail miles.  Plenty of walking, since we are carless.  Unusual in American culture.  This place, Idyllwild, is a nice place to idle awhile.  On the shoulder of San Jacinto it feels like a mountain town and it's quirky enough to be a desert town.  Five minutes walking and I have found three places to get a psychic reading, a combo bakery/ pet boutique, eight psychedelic deer statues, a new hat (goodbye old buddy), and the Gatorade Tj needs.  Last night was great,  takeout from Idyllwild pizza for us and all you can eat ribs for Raven.  (Good travels new friend ).  We will rest all we can today and see what tomorrow holds.  And enjoy today.  -Mark

Raven


Idyllwild to on Fuller Ridge:



We climbed back up the mountain behind Idyllwild early in the morning after getting a hitch to the trailhead.  We missed some of the miles between Paradise and Idyllwild because the trail is closed due to a recent fire.  We plan to return and complete these before we can say we hiked the whole PCT.

It is amazing on the ridge with snow and trees and granite rocks and we meet up with other hikers at the last water source and have food and drink and a general good time.  Raven is long gone by this time and we miss our hiking buddy a bit. 

Fuller Ridge was steeply downhill, but very easy.  There is no snow.  We enjoy ourselves and I am feeling okay after my full zero day.  It  is a long ways down though so we stop a few miles above the bottom and camp and enjoyed the sunset. 



Somewhere on Fuller Ridge to Ziggy and the Bears:



"Uncle Bob," the bearded young man called out elatedly to Mark this morning as we packed up our camp.   His face was so full of joy until  he realized it wasn't his Uncle Bob.    But I'm calling Mark Uncle Bob anyway. Mark is getting new trail names as he hikes along.  Like a spy with numerous identities.  Haha!

The eight miles down to the water faucet was hot and we left at 6 am!  Front runners from the kick off passed us, like we were standing still.  I kid you not.  They left the border on the 25th. They are very fit  and fast hikers. At THE faucet we got trail magic. Trail angel Tarzan had veggies, hummus and hugs.  Really nice man.   We meet Carrot, a hiker of some renown, and she is really dehydrated.  She ran out of water on Fuller and says she almost needed an air lift out.  

The last 5 miles to Ziggy and Bear's trail house was brutal through the sand in the riverbed and with the hot temperatures.   I trudged along.  Such a contrast to yesterday. 

We are now sitting in the shade of their patio with a huge group of hikers.  When we got here we got showers, drinks and were able to wash our clothes.  Amazing hospitality.  A few hikers are quitting.   I've got a really bad headache and I want to quit too.  It is so hot and I feel like shit.  We have a 24 hour pact though, so I keep drinking Gatorade and we will see how I feel in 24 hours.  Of course, in 24 hours I will probably be somewhere in the San Gorgonio Mountains.  LOL.   

Hot off the press.  Valentino and Midnight Rider just rode in.  A horse and rider duo who are the only horse team to complete the whole PCT.   Ever.  They are going for it again this year.  Wow.  I can't imagine riding a horse on the whole trail, as so places I've seen are  narrow and with crumbling sand.   





 A slideshow of our hike on  PCT California Section B:


https://youtu.be/qMCLvVbYRt0

Comments