Arizona Trail/ Mexican Border to Bathtub Springs

 
Day 1
10.5 miles

Ken, a great choice for a shuttle driver, drops us off at Montezuma Pass at 9:00 am after about an hour a half drive from Tucson.  We stayed at Quality Inn last night at the airport for 79 bucks for a room and 30 days free parking.  Good deal. We will see how far we can get in 30 days.  Originally we were going to hike the whole 800 mile trail, but changed our minds as we didn't want to be away from home for 2 or more months. 

There is a border patrol agent stationed at the pass and we left our packs with him while we slack pack to the monument at the border. (3.8 miles round trip).   There are juniper trees behind the restrooms that would be great for stashing your pack too.  It's an easy jaunt without your pack to the border and back.

 Then the real climb began. 

It is warm, in the 70's, until we get to the ridge 1.9 miles away from the pass, also the wilderness boundary.  Great views of Mexico all the way up.   We sweat.    I fall  down and re- injure  the knee I hurt two weeks ago.  At the ridge there is a little snow and a nice breeze.  Sweet. Onward and upward after a bite to eat.   We pass a few abandoned mines and wonder what they mined here.  Mark thinks copper.  

We are surprised by the variety of trees as there are more than we expected.  Some oak type tree at the lower elevations, and then various types of pine higher.  We hit steady snow about 18 inches deep past the junction for Miller Peak at over 9000 feet in elevation. It's fun at first, as there are previous steps to follow, but it got old after about 30 minutes.  I slip and post hole a bit and really tweak my knee.  We hike maybe a mile and a half in snow before the trail is dirt again.  We make it to bathtub springs around 4 pm.  

We camp about two tenths of a mile above the springs at AZT mile 8.5.  10.4 total miles for the day and  a little over 3000 feet of elevation gain. That's enough for two out of shape, 50 somethings. My feet are wet.  My knee hurts, but what a beautiful day.  We saw roadrunners, a golden eagle, many deer, a kestrel and lots of interesting rocks and plants and had a good time being alive.  These mountains are impressive.  

 
 The camp spot is on the ridge above bathtub springs, great view but a little exposed for a windy night. Miller Peak above us is expected to have 45 mph winds tonight.   Temperature is falling fast and is now 44 degrees.  

The trail miles today were a strenuous. 

 

Today's biggest takeaway is that two aging and out of shape individuals can hike from the hot Mexican border, 3000 feet up to a snowy mountaintop and secure our tent before the winds tried to blow us away.  

(Tip:  Peakbagger.com has weather and snow info for Miller Peak)

HYOH!
We are in no way expert hikers and share stuff we learn only because we've appreciated bits and pieces of advice we've picked up along the way and like to pass it on. 

Comments

  1. Thx for any trail intel. I start 3-15-17. That 1st 6 miles looks like some work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I start 3-15. Will look for any trail intel you can give on water & annoying climbs.
    Good luck to you!
    ADL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting a link to your blog on the FB page for the 2017 class. I will be following your adventure especially since I am 51 and my husband is 56.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys I'm following you via this blog. I am 65 years of age and have been hiking for about 3 years now. Did my first backpack March of 2016 when we did Passages 9 & 10. I may not ever cover the entire AZT, but it's not out of the question. I have done quite a few passages. I am enamored with the idea of doing #1-3 this year if I can get one of my hiking buddies to do it with me. Miller Peak sounds intimidating, but heck, I went up the back side of Mica Mountain to Manning Camp and I climbed out the North Rim at the Grand Canyon, so given a patient partner... Anyway, keep writing, I'll keep reading. Lova N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark and TJ - I will start tomorrow morning and really appreciate your blog. Great to know about option of stashing pack and slack packing to border and back. I appreciate being warned about the snow. Did you post your blog address on the Facebook group? I know people would like to see it. Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. Fun to read and helpful. Did you post your blog address on Facebook group? I know other hikers would be glad to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this. I start Wednesday morning just two days behind you. So appreciate being warned about snow! Also advice about slack packing. My blog is riv2017AZT.blogspot.com if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. Enjoyable and helpful. Glad to know about snow and slack packing to Mexico. Two days behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. Helpful and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments or questions. Have a great day and live a good life.