PCT: Burney Continued



PCT Mile 1409.7 - 1419

Pleasantly warm again last night and an easy hike to Burney Falls State Park where we left our car yesterday.  My knee felt fine after it got warmed up.  We will continue our section hike.  

We traversed oak woodlands and ponderosa pine forests as well as a burned over area.  We got airlifted a time or two by hungry mosquitos.  We saw two day hikers and another couple section hiking.  They were a highlight to our day.  

I wish I had taken their photo, but I will try to paint a picture with my words.  We met them in the burned out area of our day’s hike.  They were resting on a fallen log beside the trail.  Canary was wearing a aquamarine long sleeve blouse over a blue t shirt and had on bright pink knitted gloves with a hole in the left index finger.   I bet so she could use her phone, which also suggests she is left handed.  She has on lightweight hiking boots and an ALPS pack sits beside her.    I’m guessing she’s somewhere between 40 and 60 years old.  I’m horrible judging age.   Her hair is brownish blond and pulled back, but curls broke free around her face.  Her smile is warm and unguarded.  I liked her instantly.  She proudly introduces us to her hiking partner, Tortoise.  He’s 80 years young.  He’s wearing clothes colored like a ranger with tan long sleeve shirt and olive green pants and boots. His pack is an old school external frame relic and golden brown.  His skin is weathered and his eyes the color of the sky.  He looks directly into your eyes and when he grins you see a large space between his front teeth.  They started section hiking the PCT seven years ago and have plans to finish it this year.    This encounter was an aha moment that I’m always looking for.  I am a bit of a gear junkie and always thinking lighter gear will make me a better hiker..  Ha!  It hit me over the head that it’s not the gear that makes you a better hiker, but it’s the grit you have in your heart.  These two ooze grit.  They have another south bound PCT trip planned for the fall of a similar section we hope to do north bound and I sure hope we meet again.  

Talk about relics.  The signs in this area are delightfully old and unblemished by bullet holes.  Nice!

We are currently back poolside at the guest ranch and plan to move a car ahead to Interstate 5 near Dunsmuir this evening. It’s a straight shot up scenic highway 89 to I-5 then south to Soda Springs Road.  


Comments