Peavine Creek to Moosehead Creek



PCT trail mile 1432.7 to 1447.3

It was cold.  It was wet.  There were trees and flowers and bushes that drenched us from the thigh down as we walked by.  We brought only lightweight ponchos for this low elevation hike and without any weather in the forecast. I dreamed of having my rain pants as water ran down my legs and squished out my shoes.  Clouds swirled all around and we couldn’t see much, but on a few ridge walks I thought we probably would have had a view of Mount Shasta. We did see delightful flowers waving in the wind with heads bowed down as we walked by.  

It could have been worse.  We met a young man who two days ago got to his stopping place for the day and realized he lost his tent.  He slept without it that night and then backtracked to find it.  He found it, but since he was almost out of food he is heading back to Burney to resupply before continuing.  He was wet, and cold and dejected.  I hope we encouraged him. He started in Chester and wants to hike to Canada. 

Hiking itself was easy with short ups and downs. We are now happy to be in our tent in our warm down bags.  I’m starting to feel my feet.  They were pretty much numb all day as it didn’t get over 50 degrees and we only had a few moments of sun.  Hence my few photos.  My phone is not waterproof and I had on white kitchen gloves as a vapor barrier, then lightweight warm gloves  and on top of it all surgical gloves to shed the water.  To take a photo or open my phone was a bit of a chore, not to mention cold, so we mostly just hiked.  

Comments