PCT: Middle Velma Lake to Echo Summit


 PCT Trail Mile 1110  to 1094

Glory upon Glory!   

Wonderful sleep at Middle Velma Lake.  There are lots of campsites at this lake and while there were other campers we all had plenty of space to ourselves.  

We sleep in and miss the predawn, but woke in time to catch the sun rising above the lake.  Voices are hushed and all is still and then a solitary duck swims into the glow.  It’s one of those awesome moments that leave a lasting memory.  

The  whole day ends up being one long lasting memory.  It ranks as one of the best days of my life.  I felt as if I have wings and I just hover over the trail.  When I swim, and I swim plenty, I have fins and a high tolerance for cold. 

My first swim is at Fontinelli Lake. 

What can I say, it is exquisite.  I am enveloped in nature’s  purity and splendor.  At  Dicks Lake Hawkeye joins me in the water.  After a bit of a climb over Dicks Pass I enjoy Suzie Lake’s sweet kiss.  I pass by lovely Heather Lake because there isn’t  a good spot to get in.  The rocky trail is right above the lake.  Heather is a beautiful lake and her waters do call me. 

After another bit of a climb, that felt like no climb at all, we came to Aloha Lake.  Wow!  It is huge and it’s water very clear and an incredible blue.   The wind is blowing and there are whitecaps.  We walk out onto a granite peninsula, take off all our clothes  and dive in.  Bliss and freedom.  The cold takes my breath  away for a second and then I begin  to swim and warm up.   I gaze around at the granite, snow, sky and feel alive, grateful and  overjoyed to be here right now and able to do this.  I feel really young, almost ageless and very hopeful for tomorrow.  

We end up hiking out of the wilderness area.   We had planned on camping at Aloha Lake, but with our wings on, we couldn’t bring ourselves to break the spell.  

Echo Lake is lovely too and we have another swim before hiking to our car. 

We find  a forest service road  to camp and it’s peaceful and quiet away from the craziness of all the people at Lake Tahoe. 





Comments